You can now integrate your WordPress site into Google Search Console (Web Master Tools) very easily.
Just do this:
- Go to Google Search Console: https://search.google.com/search-console.
- If you haven’t set it up yet, it will have you add a property (website) to your account.
- To add a property, you just provide the URL of your site (the one users end up at, not the one you use to manage WordPress in the background).
- After this, you will be presented with multiple options for verifying the site. One of them will be adding a meta tag. Click that one and get the “content” string from the tag (the part between the quotes after “conent” =.
- Go to your WordPress site manager (the place you change things). On the left bar, you can find “WP Admin”. You can also probably just go to https://<your-site-name>.wordpress.com/wp-admin/ directly.
- Click “Tools” then scroll down to “Google Webmaster Tools”, and add the content string there.
- Go back to Google Search Console, refresh, and you should be able to see your website verified. This might take a little while, but it was pretty instant for me.
Note that it can take a few days for Google to scan your website and build the necessary data to fully populate the UI and make it useful.